Signal in the Noise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Our First Video in a Series
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 pm by Copernicus

» Pluto: Up Close and Odd
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 7:31 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» EU Chief Speaks of Alien contact?
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 9:11 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Earth-like Seas of Europa
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Europa's Epsom Salt May Indcate Lfe
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2016 3:55 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Mission Jupiter - Documentary Regarding the Juno Mission
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 12:11 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Jupiter Flyby
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 12:08 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» To Bravely Go...
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 1:21 am by Jackie (Admin)

» UFO Alien Spacecraft lands on the Moon HD
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 10:32 pm by Path Walker

» Knicks basketball star claims he was 'actually abducted by ALIENS two weeks ago'
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Vertical metallic ufo drops orbs on mexico city
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am by Jackie (Admin)

» Please Check this: UFO Near Edwards Air Force Base, Southern California, 1954
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Unified Weird Theory by Christopher Loring Knowles
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 pm by Jackie (Admin)

» Kepler’s New Planets
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:40 pm by Copernicus

» Mercedes-Benz Video Captures Something Alien Afoot
The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm by Jackie (Admin)

Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON

The Caves of Copernicus

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty Re: The Caves of Copernicus

Post  lunarcaveguy Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Copernicus wrote:@Jackie

Unless the resolution is exactly the same in both pairs of images, the features will be of different size.

If the resolution is the same, then there’s the complication that the sun may be shining from the east in one pair, and from the west in the 2nd pair, giving odd lighting.

The main thing you will notice is: a crater is perfectly round in this image pair, and oblong or oval in the 2nd pair. Which shape is correct? The exact shapes never seem to match up between more than one pair of images. You may guess that the round crater is the correct shape, and not the elliptical one, but you don’t really know which one is correct.

Hi!
I might offer something to this. Resolution is weird. If you are taking an image of the lunar surface looking straight down (slew angle=0 ), then each pixel is intercepting the surface based on a solid angle. Thus a surface contained by a pixel which is closer to the spacecraft would have a different resolution than a farther one. This is most obvious in oblique images taken at very high slew angles. There, resolution almost means nothing. Also, the height/altitude of the surface makes a difference. So, no vertical or horizontal resolution means anything except at a gross average level. It is helpful because otherwise we have to do all the geometric calculations ourselves.

The best you can do to get the right shape of an object on the surface is to use images with 0 degree slew angle and adjust the height or width of the image to get both axies the same resolution. For an amount of slew, you need to some fancy Photoshop or 3D model adjustments. Matching all the craters from the baseline image help, but all this is timeconsuming.

lunarcaveguy

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty Candidate "E" Update

Post  Copernicus Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Thank you for that explanation, LCG. I realized that the orbiter was in a different position and altitude for each image, which accounted for the differences in the images, but had forgotten about accounting for the differences in altitude for the terrain!

Still, I found that even rescaling the images non-proportionally didn’t work very well for stacking them. It’s too bad, actually, because building high res images of an area such as I did with the Apollo 17 EVA area, is rather neat, though not all that accurate in the end.

Copernicus Crater is quite a bit bigger, and I now have pretty much all of the NAC’s of the interior, so I could theoretically build a high res image of the center of the crater Smile

Anyway, I found one last image of my Candidate “E”. Unfortunately the sunlight is coming from the west, but there is still some interesting detail of the west lip of the crater. Here again is Candidate “E”:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cande100_2

Here is the new image I found of it:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cande100_3

And now at 200%:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cande200_3

Some of the rocks on the west lip can be matched with the first image, but I wasn’t able to completely match them.

C
Copernicus
Copernicus

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty New LRO data batch!

Post  lunarcaveguy Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi all!

They released another batch of LRO images. 8 new ones in Copernicus crater. A few updates of the old ones I had found and possibly some new ones.

Happy hunting!

lunarcaveguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jackie (Admin) Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for the head's up Lunarcaveguy!
Jackie (Admin)
Jackie (Admin)
Admin

https://signal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty H4 and Unknown Object Updates

Post  Copernicus Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

As LCG previously mentioned, LROC’s December upload included more new high res images in the crater Copernicus, and I’ve now had time to look through these new images for more shots of the caves and pits previously posted here.

This week, instead of posting in the Odds & Ends thread, I’ll post a new image of pit H4 and also a new one of my “Unknown Object”.

First, here’s a new image of James’ H4 pit:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cop-h4-hr6

There was also a second image of this, very similar to this one.

Now… my “Unknown Object”…

This is the first image of it with what I would call normal contrast and lighting.

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Unk-obj-hr4

It is centered in this image, but we need to zoom in to see it better…

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Unk-obj-hr4-400

As you can see, the object looks quite a bit different here than in previous images. It appears to be a two-tone rock on the edge of a crater or hole. There is a second image available, similar to this, with a bit lower resolution, but it is not as good as this one.

This is probably the best image of it so far, but it would still be nice to have another image of this quality with the light coming from the opposite direction.

That’s it for this week… see you next time!

C

Copernicus
Copernicus

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty Pit H5 Update

Post  Copernicus Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Continuing on with the December updates from LROC…

The December upload contained some higher resolution images taken when the spacecraft orbit was lowered by 20 km for a short time in the summer, but unfortunately there was only one pair of these higher resolution images taken within the confines of Copernicus crater.

I’ve downloaded and searched through maybe a dozen pairs of these higher resolution images now, and the pair in Copernicus is quite noticeably stretched non-proportionally. This is unfortunate since some of the features look a bit different, but there isn’t much that can be done about it.

So here, taken from one of the higher res images, is James’s pit H5:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cop-h5-hr8

It is definitely noticeable that the angle is less vertical in this image.

And at 300%...

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cop-h5-hr8-300

This is the highest resolution image to date of H5, and the pit floor is even slightly visible. I will point out that H5 appears wider than it should due to the stretching of the image.

Well, that’s all for now… until next time!

C
Copernicus
Copernicus

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty Cave Candidate D Update

Post  Copernicus Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:07 pm

This week I will present a final update from the Dec15/11 LROC upload, and it is another image of my Cave Candidate D.

This is taken from the same higher resolution image pair as the previous H5 update, and Candidate D looks noticeably different due to the image stretching. It is on the left in this full resolution image:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cop-candd-hr7

And now here it is at 300%:

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Candd-hr7-300

It looks somewhat better with the width rescaled at 75% of the full 300% rescale…

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Cop-candd-resc

The different angle of the Orbiter really changes the perspective of this cave!

Well, that’s it for now, but the next LROC upload is only just over a month away! Smile

C

Copernicus
Copernicus

Back to top Go down

Post  rick1959 Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks C!!
rick1959
rick1959

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Copernicus - Page 3 Empty New IMG's Uploaded (Mar/12)

Post  Copernicus Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:05 am

Just a short note to let everyone know that the next batch of NAC’s has been uploaded by NASA, as of yesterday (a day late). I’ve hardly had a chance to look them over, but am pleasantly surprised to find that there are some very high res NAC’s included this time. Obviously the orbiter is no longer in the same orbit it was prior to August, when they lowered it to take a run of very high res images.

Although there were no new high res images of the caves and anomalies in Copernicus and Aristarchus, there are many other areas left to investigate. And there is always next time, of course… and I predict there will be a lot of low res images of Copernicus!

Enjoy St. Patrick’s Day! alien

C

Copernicus
Copernicus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3